is caused by a virus called SARS-CoV2.
This virus belongs to family of Coronavirus that are known to cause a range of respiratory and gastrointestinal illnesses that can be common to severe.
(such as MERS and SARS)
was discovered in December 2019 through reports of pneumonia like illness caused by previously unknown coronavirus in Wuhan, China
The virus was called
2019 novel coronavirus
Officially named as
by WHO in February 2020
SARS-CoV-2 enters the human body through eyes, nose and/or mouth
- Various studies suggest the virus enters the host cells via the ACE2 receptor.
- Incubation period is 4-6 days.
Based on a systematic review published on March 31st, current evidence suggests the following key COVID-19 epidemiologic measurements:
- Epidemic Doubling time: 3-7 days
- Reproduction number: 1.9-6.5 of secondary cases from a single individual
- Case fatality rate: 0.3%-1.4% (outside China)
- Duration of viral shedding: 8-37 days
Symptoms of COVID-19 may appear 2-14 days after exposure
The 3 main symptoms are:
Fever , Shortness of breath, Cough
Older adult and people who have underlying medical conditions (heart disease, lung disease, diabetes) have higher risk to develop serious complications.